© 2020-23 BizApprise. All rights reserved.
Here is the complete company profile for Sun Pharma Industries Limited along with the key details such as products, founder, history, laboratories, subsidiaries, divisions, and more.
Sun Pharma is also India’s biggest pharmaceutical company. Its global presence is supported by several manufacturing facilities across a few continents.
Sun Pharma: Overview
Sun Pharma Industries Limited was founded in the year 1983 by Mr. Dilip Shanghvi. It is the fourth biggest specialty generic pharmaceutical company in the world with global revenues of more than US$ 4.5 billion. The company is backed by over 40 manufacturing units and the company today is known to deliver high-quality and affordable medicines all around the world in over 100+ countries.
Sun Pharmaceutical is providing employment to over thirty-seven thousand employees all over the world making it one of the top-notch suppliers to the Indian Pharma Industry.
The company is widely acclaimed to manufacture and market a huge basket of pharmaceutical formulations consisting of a wide spectrum of acute and chronic medicines. The company operated in various business areas. It included over-the-counter (OTC) medication, antiretrovirals (ARVs), Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), and Intermediates.
Sun Pharma manufactures medicines for various fields and it accounts for more than 30 billion doses each year such as diabetology, oncology, ophthalmology, dermatology, neuro-psychiatry, cardiology, gastroenterology, anti-infective, urology, nephrology and respiratory, and many more.
Moreover, the company has a reputation for being the first among Indian Pharma Companies to work on the crucial aspect of creating investment in the field of research and it invests around 8% of global revenue into R&D annually. The R&D division of the company is managed by over 2,000 talented scientists.
Sun Pharma: History
Sun Pharma was established with five psychiatry products and a two-person marketing team in the year of 1983. The company filed for the Initial Public Offering (IPO) papers in the year of 1994. Within the span of 2 years, the company expands its sales network across 24 countries by 1996.
In 2007, the company was de-merged SPARC (Sun Pharma Advanced Research Company) into another separate company which further became the country’s first pure research organization to become public and get listed on the Indian Stock Exchanges.
It has become the world’s fifth-biggest specialty generic pharmaceutical organization.
Sun Pharma: Products
The company holds the list of a comprehensive, highly complementary, and diverse portfolio of specialty and generic medicines. It enables it to target a wide spectrum of acute and chronic treatments all over the globe. It is known to supply branded medicines at low cost while maintaining the high quality of the medicines in over a hundred countries all across the globe.
The products have the hallmark of technology-based differentiation and cover the full range of dosage forms, including tablets, capsules, injectables, inhalers, ointments, creams, and liquids. The therapeutic segments covered by our portfolio of over 2000 molecules include psychiatry, anti-infective, neurology, cardiology, orthopedic, diabetology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, nephrology, urology, dermatology, gynecology, respiratory, oncology, dental and nutritional.
In several countries, Sun Pharma ranks among the leading companies in these therapy areas. Moreover, it also offers a series of Over-the-Counter as well as consumer healthcare products. Faringosept (sore throat), Revital (vitamins), and Volini (topical analgesics) are a few of our flagship OTC brands that are marketed in several countries globally.
There are other category-defining brands such as Cold & Flustat (cold & flu), Brustan, Painamol & Paduden (analgesics), Aspenter, Aspacardin, Nudrate & Fortifikat (lifestyle OTCs), Gestid (digestives) and Chericof (cough). In 2022, the company’s APIs exceed 300 which are used in-house as well as marketed to customers in over 60 countries. Sun Pharma also produces APIs in 14 manufacturing facilities located in India, Hungary, the US, Israel, and Australia.
The list of products the company manufacturers includes generics and complex APIs that require isolated manufacturing areas like anti-cancers, peptides, steroids, sex hormones, and controlled substances, including poppy-derived opiate raw materials that are primarily used in the manufacture of analgesics, sold as both Narcotic Raw Materials (NRM) and APIs.
Sun Pharma Financial Data
- MARKET CAP: ₹ 2,41,744.99 Cr.
- COMPANY VALUE: ₹ 2,46,078.74 Cr.
- P/E: 166.26
- P/B: 9.39
- CASH: ₹ 534.96 Cr.
- PROFIT GROWTH: -111.87 %
- DIVIDEND YIELD: 0.98 %
- PROMOTER HOLDING: 54.48 %
- SALES GROWTH: 10.41%
- ROE: -0.39 %
- ROCE: 2.19%
Innovation and Development Timeline
- 1987: Sun Pharma begins sale of products across India
- 1988: Sun Pharma launches Monotrate and Angizem, the first cardiology products that are sold to date.
- 1989: Sun Pharma introduces gastroenterology products in India
- 1998: Sun Pharma acquires a basket of products from Natco Pharma
- 2014: Sun Pharma and Merck & Co. Inc. enter into a licensing agreement for tildrakizumab (MK-3222)
- 2016: Sun Pharma launches Imatinib Mesylate in the USA
- 2016: Sun Pharma launches its first branded ophthalmic product, BromSite in the USA
Sun Pharma Subsidiaries
- Alkaloida Chemical Company Zrt
- Alchemee LLC
- AO Ranbaxy
- Basics GmBH
- Biosintez Public Joint Stock Company
- Caraco Pharmaceutical Private Limited
- Foundation for Disease Elimination and Control of India
- Green Eco Development Centre Limited
- Faststone Mercantile Company Private Limited
- Neetnav Real Estate Private Limited
- OOO Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
- PI Real Estate Ventures LLC
- Proactive YK
- Ranbaxy (Malaysia) SDN BHD
- Ranbaxy (Thailand) Co. Ltd
- Ranbaxy Farmaceutica Ltda
- Ranbaxy Nigeria Limited
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Proprietary Ltd
- Ranbaxy South Africa (Pty) Ltd and its subsidiary
- Rexcel Egypt Company (L.L.C.)
- Ranbaxy (Poland) SP. Z.O.O
- Realstone Infra Limited
- Realstone Multitrade Private Limited
- Ranbaxy Pharmaceutical Ukraine LLC
- Sun Pharma (Netherlands) B.V. (Formerly known as Ranbaxy (Netherlands) B.V.)
- SC Terapia S.A
- Sun Farmaceutica do Brasil Ltda
- Sun Laboratories FZE
- Sun Pharma ANZ Pty Ltd
- Sun Pharma Canada Inc
- Sun Pharma De Mexico S.A. De C.V
- Sun Pharma De Venezuela C.A
- Sun Pharma East Africa Ltd
- Sun Pharma Egypt Limited LLC
- Sun Pharma France SAS (Formerly known as Ranbaxy Pharmacie Generiques SAS)
- Sun Pharma Holdings UK Limited(formerly known as Ranbaxy Holdings U.K. Limited)
- Sun Pharma Italia SRL (Formerly known as Ranbaxy Italia S.P.A)
- Sun Pharma Japan Ltd
- Sun Pharma Laboratories Limited
- Sun Pharma Laboratorios, S.L.U (formerly Laboratorios Ranbaxy, S.L.U.)
- Sun Pharma Operating Japan Limited
- Sun Pharma Phillipines Inc
- Sun Pharma UK Limited( formerly known as Ranbaxy U.K. Limited)
- Ranbaxy Inc and its subsidiaries
- Sun Pharmaceutical Holdings USA Inc and its subsidiaries
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc and its subsidiaries
- Sun Pharmaceutical (Bangladesh) Limited
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries SAC
- Sun Pharmaceutical Peru SAC
- Sun Pharmaceuticals (EZ) Limited
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Germany GmBH
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries (Europe) B.V.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Morocco LLLC Sarlau
- Sun Pharmaceuticals SA Pty Ltd
- Skisen Labs Private Limited
- Softdeal Pharmaceutical Private Limited
- Sun Pharma Distributors Limited
- Sun Pharma Shanghai Ltd
- Sun Pharma Switzerland Ltd
- Sun Pharmaceutical Medicare limited
- Sun Pharma Holdings
- Taro International Ltd
- Taro Pharmaceutical Europe BV
- Taro Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. and its subsidiaries
- Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Taro Pharmaceutical North America Inc
- Taro Pharmaceutical USA Inc
- The Proactiv Company KK
- The Proactiv Company Corporation
- Universal Enterprises Private Limited
Wrapping Up on Best Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Sun Pharma Limited is the market leader in India and it is interested in partnerships for late-stage and/or marketed opportunities complementary to its commercial footprint or expansion within its core areas of focus in India. These include CNS disorders, Cardiology, Diabetes, Metabolic disorders, Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology, Oncology, Pain, Rheumatology, Allergy, Asthma and Inflammation, and Gynecology.
Its focus is on NCEs, NBEs, NDDS-based differentiated products, Biosimilars, and Proprietary Technology Barrier Products which provide it the first mover advantage in India. The company’s leadership position in India allows it to offer significant value to innovator companies who want to partner with a dynamic and leading company, capable of successfully marketing its assets and willing to give the right priority to in-licensed or partnered projects.